Thursday, April 22, 2010

Apparition

I'm going to try real hard to do at least one post a week on Gateway and keep it going.

Sometimes the Arch seems not quite real to me. I mean, how did Eero Saarinen and a bunch of space aliens drop this far-beyond-human scale metal epiphany in an ordinary Midwestern city? Sometimes when I walk or drive by I start thinking what the hell is that doing here? Building the Arch was one of the few acts of real vision in the modern history of this sometimes indifferent burgh.

3 comments:

Shelly Rayedeane said...

Some say apparitions can not be real, but the key to seeing the truth is knowing that not everyone is meant to decipher the apparition.

Nathalie H.D. said...

What a great shot - and a great vision too, yes. It takes vision to embark on a project such as this, and it's amazing to see what it does to a city.

Jenny Woolf said...

Interesting, it looks as if it is in motion.