Thursday, December 4, 2008

Depressed Lanes

Photos of the Arch never reveal this; certainly none of mine to date. Interstate 70 essentially runs in a ditch between the monument and the rest of downtown, creating a moat separating the two. It is crossed by streets, as at the left above, but it still creates a physical and psychological barrier between the big wicket and its city. The National Park Service, local authorities and foundations with money to donate have debated what to do about this for years. Nothing ever happens. Local traffic reports refer to this stretch of highway as the depressed lanes. Maybe it would help if a truckload of Zoloft got into a wreck down there.

This photo was taken on November 16, 2008, the same day as today's post on my St. Louis Daily Photo Blog. I risked life and limb to get it since there's no sidewalk where I was standing on a narrow curb, beside a traffic lane of Memorial Drive.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

You have got to stop doing that. You get smacked by a car and then who will take the Arch photos for us???
I think I need some Zoloft ! :)

PJ said...

I have done the same thing photographing our new bridge that replaced the one destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. I parked my car, crossed four lanes of traffic, and stood as close as possible to the overpass wall as I could and hoped none of the cars and trucks wizzing by behind me would nip me. To make it even more thrilling the wind was howling in some kind in a vortex at that particular location and my hair was in my eyes so I really couldn't see a whole lot. To be honest, it was kind of a thrill to be doing something that dangerous at my age. Most days are so ordinary.
Oh, and the Zoloft thing, with the economy the way it is it would probably have to be generic, not nearly as sexy.